We must vote for those candidates of any party that reflect these values: hard work, self-determination, smaller government, fiscal responsibility and honesty. Look to the character of anyone you chose to support. Their past does matter if they haven't learned from it. Their personal life is as relevant as their public one. We must be able to trust those who will be advising and leading us on what our country must do next. -Glenn Beck

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hating politics lately

Sorry I've been MIA lately. I've been having a really hard time with politics and needed a break. My biggest struggle has been about who I want to vote for and agree with the most vs. who I'll most likely end up voting for in the Presidential Election. If you take a look at your sample ballot you'll see the list of 2008 Presidential Candidates.

President
(Vote for One)

BALDWIN, CHARLES O. "CHUCK",
CASTLE, DARREL
CONSTITUTION
BARR, BOB,
ROOT, WAYNE A.
LIBERTARIAN
LA RIVA, GLORIA,
MOSES, ROBERT
UNAFFILIATED
MCCAIN, JOHN,
PALIN, SARAH
REPUBLICAN
MCKINNEY, CYNTHIA,
CLEMENTE, ROSA
UNAFFILIATED
NADER, RALPH,
GONZALEZ, MATT
UNAFFILIATED
OBAMA, BARACK,
BIDEN, JOE
DEMOCRAT

I'm sure you were all aware of this before, but there are more candidates than just Barack Obama and John McCain on the ballot. My problem is that I would like to vote for Bob Barr of the Libertarian party (FYI- he won his party's nomination instead of Ron Paul) because I agree with most of what he says. But I'll most likely end up voting for John McCain. Why? Because whether we like it or not this is basically a 2 party election. I feel as though voting for any party besides Republican or Democrat would be throwing away my vote. And I hate it!

I'm thinking Bob Barr might be to Republicans what Ralph Nader was to Democrats in the 2000 Presidential election. So what do you think? Is a vote for Bob Barr (who may very well be the best candidate) esentially a vote for Barack Obama? I'm really struggling with this one.

2 comments:

Backwoods Browns said...

Yup! You hit it right on the head! As much as most of us would like to vote for others, you can look at the past and see what elections were thrown to the other party( Republicans/Democrats) because of the other parties on the ballot. It is actually good for the Democrats this election because there are so many other parties on the ballot and it will take votes away from the main party running. Sinks huh?

Unknown said...

We both know that either McCain or Obama WILL win the election. The way my father in law put it: Decide who you absolutely like the least and vote for the other (to further insure that the one you don't like doesn't get in). You are right that voting for the less well known parties may be a mistake considering the leverage Obama already has. I wish people would turn off the news and start doing their own research on all candidates and their plans because our media is awash with Yellow Journalism and it makes me sick.