We must vote for those candidates of any party that reflect these values: hard work, self-determination, smaller government, fiscal responsibility and honesty. Look to the character of anyone you chose to support. Their past does matter if they haven't learned from it. Their personal life is as relevant as their public one. We must be able to trust those who will be advising and leading us on what our country must do next. -Glenn Beck

Monday, October 27, 2008

The War in Iraq

Back in September Lori Ann left a comment stating she'd like some posts about the war. I'm not even sure that she's still reading this blog (I hope you are. Sorry it's taken me so long to do this post!), but I'm going to post about it anyway. It's taken me so long because I really don't know a whole lot about the details or political aspects of the wars. This is what I do know: Everyone I know in the military believes the U.S. should be in Iraq.

I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot of people in the military, but the few I do, I trust. And until I find the time (*and some really good resources) to learn more about our presence in both Iraq and Afghanistan, that's good enough for me. I'll trust those who have been there.

Now I realize that just because what my military friends say is good enough for me, doesn't mean it will cut it for others, but maybe this poll from the Military Times will. The majority of the troops polled in this survey said they'd vote for McCain if the election was held today (68% for McCain vs. 23% for Obama). It also breaks it down into ranks, service, gender, race, duty status, and age. Those results are very interesting to look at, particularly the results of who blacks/African Americans would vote for in contrast to the other races (can someone explain to me why those not voting for Obama are being called racist when in reality, it seems to be the other way around?). There were also other questions asked and McCain won for all of them.

I have a deep respect for those willing to fight for our country. I can't even begin to imagine the horrors they have seen and the pain that will always be with them as a result of their service, but I do believe that what they are doing is important.


*If anyone has some great, unbiased, easy to understand resources on the wars please leave the links in the comments. Also, I invite anyone who would like to post about the wars in Iraq and/or Afghanistan to email me (thefightforconservatism @ gmail.com) for access to write for The Fight for Conservatism (be sure to read the rules for posting first).


*******************************************************************************

Further viewing for anyone who is interested (and has the time):

These first two are soldiers talking about why we need to be in Iraq:




This is kind of a weird video, not nearly as professional as the others, but I'm including it because it's different from the others and gives a different way to look at things:


Iraq is not a mistake:


This is for all those who blame the war on republicans alone. Obviously democrats thought something needed to be done as well. Why can't they now realize we need to finish what we started?:

1 comment:

Backwoods Browns said...

The funny thing is, if people would really look at why and how we got there no one should put blame on President Bush! There was a HUGE majority in both parties that were 100% for going to Iraq to get this under control and what is even more interesting is that the Media that had (negative) news on the war almost every night seems to have calmed down...why?...BECAUSE WE ARE WINNING!!! Yes and that kills Obama's whole campaign about "ending the war and bringing home our troops" he wishes that the stability and the trust that the Us has earned over there would just hold off a little bit longer so if he gets in HE can be the one to say that he "ended the war!" like he thought he was going to do!That's why no one knows! Maybe if they did,and that's why some were going to vote for him, they might change their minds! The Liberal media couldn't have that now could they!!