We must vote for those candidates of any party that reflect these values: hard work, self-determination, smaller government, fiscal responsibility and honesty. Look to the character of anyone you chose to support. Their past does matter if they haven't learned from it. Their personal life is as relevant as their public one. We must be able to trust those who will be advising and leading us on what our country must do next. -Glenn Beck

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Views on Gun Control - From Someone Who Doesn't Own a Gun

Guns have never been a hot issue for me, so it was interesting to read Jay’s views and to figure out for myself what I believe. I have studied it (though I still don’t understand every aspect of each candidate’s views) and if gun control was the only issue I was voting on, I would definitely be voting for McCain (I found more of the candidate's views here). I do not agree with most of Obama's policies (the ones I do agree with, McCain has the same views, so it basically cancels them out). It worries me that he thinks gun bans work. I appreciated the article link in ck rock’s comment about Biden not allowing Obama to mess with his guns. It’s good to know there’s one person on the democratic ticket who realizes a ban would be ridiculous. Too bad the person running for president isn’t smart enough to figure that one out.


Here are some more things that worry me about Obama’s gun control policies

  • Does he really think it would work for cities to determine local gun laws? Jay’s comment about that sums up why that’s pretty stupid.
  • The fact that he endorsed an Illinois handgun ban.
  • I’m interested to learn how Obama thinks we can feasibly “keep guns out of inner cities.” This sounds like his normal “feel good” talk to me. The criminals would be the only ones with guns if something like this was ever put into place.
  • He voted no on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. I completely agree with Jay’s opinion, “Frivolous lawsuits in general are part of the downfall of our society.” It’s so true. I’m sick and tired of all the frivolous lawsuits out there. Obama’s saying gun manufacturers can be sued for someone using one of their guns to kill someone else and that’s just stupid. Does that mean knife manufacturers can be sued if someone is killed with their knife? It makes no sense.


I also went through McCain’s views on gun control. I don’t understand everything, but on the ones I do understand and care about I agree with him. Not only is he practical, he’s not going to try to take away anyone’s constitutional right to keep and bear arms. That's the kind of person I want as my president.

5 comments:

Jim Curtz said...

Yes I agree with Jay’s views. The gun control is a world wide problem, now when every nation is ruining their selves by their own hands. Now the new presidential candidate should make a hard and clear policy for the gun control in America.


Outsourcing Solution in Call Center

Shaina said...

People who support gun control are trying to find away to prevent the criminal activity that is so rampant in our society, and I can respect that. I don't like all the violence either (in the past 2 days in SLC I have heard of at least 3 open shootings). But banning guns is the wrong approach. It's the criminal that is the problem, not the weapon he picked. One step I saw in the right direction was when the gunman opened fire in Trolley Square (I think he shot 9 people before an off-duty police officer, with his gun on him, was able to shoot him down). anyway, obviously the gunman got his own justice, but I was proud of the Utah courts for going after and cracking down on the people who sold him his guns irresponsibly. If we start really enforcing the gun laws already in place, maybe there won't be as big of a push to create new ones.

Bethany said...

Well said, Shaina!

CK Rock said...

My attempt to answer the question "Why does Obama (and most Democrats) support gun control?"

Liberals tend to look at gun control in the same way that Conservatives look at banning abortion. The comparison isn't perfect, but bear with me while I explain.

Conservatives imagine the loss of potential children as horrible and believe that something must be done to stop it.

Liberals see the loss of human life from gun-related violence and believe that something must be done to stop it.

Banning guns might be the wrong approach, but in the same way banning abortion is probably the wrong approach. There will always be unscrupulous people willing to preform abortions just as there are unscrupulous people who will use guns violently against other humans.

However, I would be hard-pressed to convince either side that just we shouldn't ban it just because a ban would be ineffective. Bans make a statement of our beliefs that this is not right.

I think that the solution to both of these issues lies deeper within individuals. However, government can't legislate feelings--only actions. Therefore, the debates continue.

Backwoods Browns said...

With guns we are "Citizens"....without guns, we are "Subjects"

I watched an interview on T.V. a long time ago, so I can't quote it well but the general answer of a big time criminal ,in for armed robbery, many, many counts, was that he was always scared that he would try to rob a business or a home that was armed with a gun.

Criminals would have to think twice if everyone was able and trained to have a firearm in their home!