We must vote for those candidates of any party that reflect these values: hard work, self-determination, smaller government, fiscal responsibility and honesty. Look to the character of anyone you chose to support. Their past does matter if they haven't learned from it. Their personal life is as relevant as their public one. We must be able to trust those who will be advising and leading us on what our country must do next. -Glenn Beck

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Gun Registration

I wanted to address this in a separate post; Bethany posed this excellent question:
Bethany said...

I don't really understand gun licensing and registering. It seems like those would be good things. Maybe I’ve watched too much Law and Order, but it seems like they often solve crimes on some episodes by finding out who had the gun in the first place and then tracking where it went from there until they find the killer. I realize it’s a tv show, but is it really that far-fetched? Also, would this mean the gun owner would have to prove they know how to handle a gun before purchasing it?

Basically, I’d love more information on gun licensing and registering. I’ve been searching on the internet, but there is so much information I’m not sure where to start.

Thanks!


OK, there are many people that disagree w/gun registration for multiple reasons. One of the biggest reasons I feel gun registration won't work is the fact that criminals are not going to register their guns, more than likely they can't even legally own a gun so why would they bother registering an illegally owned firearm. If they stole the gun & use it in a crime the original owner may get blamed for the crime & even if/when he/she (original gun owner) is cleared of the crime the police have wasted valuable time & are more than likely back to square one. Criminals don't obey gun laws or lots of other laws.

Next reason I am against gun registration is basic paranoia; if the government knows where all the guns are it is much easier for them to come & take them away. Now having said that I don't know that the citizens of this great nation would allow our guns to be taken away by anyone, including our own government without a fight.

This website posed some interesting points on both sides of the debate I disagree with some of their information such as Gun registration will let the government know who has illegal weapons Again if they have the guns illegally I don't think they are going to bother to comply w/some government mandated registration.

In short (sorry this post was not supposed to be this long) yes in a perfect world gun registration would work exactly how the proponents of it say it would, but in a perfect world we wouldn't need guns. Hope this helps & doesn't just make people more confused. Feel free to post any questions or comments I would love to read them & try to respond.

6 comments:

Bethany said...

Thanks for answering my questions. It now makes sense to me why those things would be pointless. I'll have to give it more thought, but I think I'm leaning more on the side of not wanting gun licensing and registration.

Jay said...

You're welcome, I would also like to extend an invitation to anyone that is interested in learning more about guns to go shooting anytime with me. I try to make it to the range once or twice a month. Shoot me an email if you'd like to go sometime. I have or have access to large & small handguns/rifles.

Backwoods Browns said...

All I can say is I LOVE IDAHO!! We don't have to register here and we want to get all the guns we want before that is possibly, hopefully not, taken away from us! It's great as we are a State whose laws are the most respectful of the the rights of the people as far as firearms go! People actually come up here to buy guns just because they don't have to register them.

Where do you live Jay?

Jay said...

I live in Utah we also don't have to register guns here thank goodness. I have to say of all the places I would like to live & raise my family Idaho is 2nd only to Utah & it is a close race. I was born in Nampa, I have a lot of family in the Burley/Twin Falls area. I'm actually heading to Twin Falls this weekend for a sealing at the LDS Temple & to see my grandparents.

Backwoods Browns said...

I would have to agree that Idaho is a great place to raise children! We call it the promised land here :) It's beautiful up in N. Idaho! Enjoy your trip.

Cyrus Smith said...

Yes I agree with Jay’s views. The gun control is a world wide problem, now when every nation is ruining their selves by their own hands. Now the new presidential candidate should make a hard and clear policy for the gun control in America

Outsourcing Solution in Call Center