We must vote for those candidates of any party that reflect these values: hard work, self-determination, smaller government, fiscal responsibility and honesty. Look to the character of anyone you chose to support. Their past does matter if they haven't learned from it. Their personal life is as relevant as their public one. We must be able to trust those who will be advising and leading us on what our country must do next. -Glenn Beck

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Nation and Local

Hi, I'm Shaina. I'm not an expert on anything political, but I listen to a lot of news and talk to a lot of people who think they are experts. Does that count for anything?

The big discussion right now is of course, the Presidential Election in November between McCain and Obama. But that's not the only thing that will be on our ballot. In Utah, there are people running for office on the state, county, and city levels as well as votes being cast on subjects like amendments to the Utah Constitution. This brings me to 2 questions:

1. When it comes to National vs Local politics, which has a greater impact on my personal, daily life?
2. You can't help but be bombarded with information (true or not, biased or fair) regarding the national election, but you have to be proactive and do some searching to find out what's going on locally. Should that be changed and if so how?

I would love to hear what others think.

4 comments:

Jay said...

Hi Shaina,

Those are both excellent points/questions. I do feel that there is not enough attention put on local elections, I remember last time I voted I didn't know much about most of the people running on the local ballots. I knew a couple of the judges, & had looked at some of the other races going on, but I don't think I knew anything about the city officials I was voting for. Whether the local media pays attention to local politics or not we should definitely make an effort to learn more about who else we are voting for. We may find the laws being changed in our own cities & we can't say a thing to complain because we didn't pay attention.

Bethany said...

In answer to your questions:

1- I'm guessing local politics will have a greater impact on my personal, daily life. I really need to learn more about them.

2- I do think it should be easier to learn about your local politics. At this point I don't even know where to go to find out what will be on the ballot. I know more about what will be on the California ballot than Utah's and that's not really going to help me.

Thanks, Shaina, for giving me this reminder to be educated on issues close to home. If anyone knows of any good sites to find out local issues let us know (for any state at all... we'll comprise a list of all of them).

Shaina said...

elections.utah.gov is a good place start, that's the state's official site. I also just googled Utah 2008 elections, I'm sure you can do that with any state and see what comes up.

Backwoods Browns said...

I would have to say local, because they are the people that represent us in our state and if we don't have that, it's harder to get the things that we as the people of the state want on a more national level.