We must vote for those candidates of any party that reflect these values: hard work, self-determination, smaller government, fiscal responsibility and honesty. Look to the character of anyone you chose to support. Their past does matter if they haven't learned from it. Their personal life is as relevant as their public one. We must be able to trust those who will be advising and leading us on what our country must do next. -Glenn Beck

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Morning in America

Obviously, the election didn't turn out the way I had hoped (though I suspected it wouldn't), but we're going to be fine. I found this great essay by John Mark Reynolds called Morning in America. Here is a snippet of the essay:

"Wednesday the sun came up and I was happy. It is still morning in America. The candidate I voted for did not win, but I got to vote in a free and fair election. Power will be passed peacefully and the Constitution is intact.

We should never take that for granted.

The United States of America is still a marvelous place to live."

It is worth your time to read.

(I also recommend checking out his essay on Discrimination and Prop 8.)

2 comments:

Backwoods Browns said...

It's not the way I would have liked it to be either BUT I hope that what the Obama supports hope will be a good change will happen.

Even though we are held responsible for the choices we make, I can't help to say that God is still in control. He knows our hearts and hears our prayers! May we all be the best that we can and continue to support all that's good in this Great Country!

Shaina said...

I felt the same way this morning when I woke up. Sure, almost none of the people I voted for won, but some of them were really close races and I feel like my vote made a difference, my opinion was heard. My husband reminded me that even if I didn't vote for Obama, it's now my turn to take a positive attitude, give him the benefit of the doubt on his campaign promises, and give him the respect he's due with the office of President.
I like what McCain said in his speech when he said that he is first and foremost an American Citizen, and that is still a great thing to be.